Le premier joint


I basically did nothing during the week. It was great! :) 
Friday I had a speaking history exam for the Bac. (The reason it was speaking exam was because I take a history in english class so the exam is test our speaking abilities in English.) You're given a document about one of the themes we studied during the year. Then you have 20 minutes to prepare a 10 minute presentation on that topic for two professors. After you present what you've prepared and then you're interviewed for another 10 minutes. Also, you have to prepare your presentation in the same room while the other person is doing their exam. Not easy, right? I am so impressed by all of the other students- to present a topic for ten minutes in a second language is hard! The exam went pretty well, except for the fact that when I was preparing my document I didn't realize that I was speaking out loud. The two professors had to stop during the interview with the other girl. They went over to me and told me to be quiet. I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about because I hadn't even noticed that I was reading aloud the document. Soo embarrassing! Eek! 
Friday night I went to go see the movie, "A Very Bad Trip 3" with some friends. If this title doesn't ring a bell, that would make sense because in the US it's better known as "The Hangover 3". A lot of American films are renamed when they come to France. A lot of times, they translate the titles into French. For example, "The Great Gatsby" is "Gatsby le Magnifique" in France. However, sometimes they just change the title in English (as they did for "The Hangover"). I just love how the hangover ("la guelue de bois" en français) is changed into a "A Very Bad Trip." That would be like if someone changed the name of the movie "Titanic" to "The Boat that Sunk". 


HOLY GUACAMOLE PEOPLE- IT'S JUNE!
Saturday was the JUNE 1st!!! Everyone, (even my host dad!), kept making jokes about "le premier joint". In French, you say "le premier juin"if you want to say June 1st. "Le premier juin" sounds very similar to "le premier joint", meaning the first joint in english (as in weed), hence the title of this post. June, already?! Ah, I am so excited for summer!
Today, I went to the first communion of a family friend. The mass was normal, but the after party was pretty elaborate. The family is Italian so there was a million courses of amazing (and genuine!) Italian food. For dessert there kinda strange looking cake. Turns out what I thought was a weird cake is actually a typical French wedding cake or "un croquembouche". In France, wedding cakes look like this: 
"Un croquembouche" is a bunch of creme filled like doughnuts piled into a cone. It's held together by hardened caramel. The strange looking cake turned out to be pretty good. 

I can't even believe it. I know I've said this for every post- but time has flown by so fast. 
The other day, Louis made some cookies and asked to borrow my camera to film some videos for his blog. I found that he had left some of the videos on my camera. Look at this gem! 

Loulou le patissier gives an update on the status of the chocolate chip cookies. 

I am looking forward to this week. This will be my last week of going to lycée! And better yet, I'll be ending one day earlier than everyone else because on Friday, I'll be going to Hamburg!!! I'm going to go for a couple days to go see Rachel (my twin sister) in Germany. I can't wait :) 
Ciao!
-Becca