Il fait gris...

On Monday we didn't have school because it was Pentecôte (Pentecost). It's a national holiday here and so we got the day off of school. My family didn't do anything in particular during the day in relation of Pentecôte- we just relaxed and the enjoyed the day off from school. 
Tuesday I had a relatively busy day because I had three big exams. One of them was my rock climbing test for the Bac. We did rock climbing for our final unit in gym. When we do rock climbing here, as we climb we attach the carabiners as you go! It's a little more difficult because if you slip, you fall to where you placed the last carabiner. The test was to climb one of the walls chosen by the professor. It wasn't too stressful. ;) Later that day I also had my speaking exam for my European English class. I'm pretty sure that I've already explained this but in this class we learned about the history of the world in English. The speaking tests aren't too difficult, however the history is at a very high level- equivalent to that of a AP History course. It's super impressive that my French friends not only take this class, but do well in it! Anyway, the subject for the test was the history of Africa. We focused particularly on South Africa. Taking this exam made me realize that I had never learned the history of Africa before coming to France. I learned about its geography, but that was when I was in seventh grade. I realized I have learned and relearned American history countless numbers of times. Only in France, I've learned in depth about the history and the geography of the rest of world. Of course, not everyone has had the exact education as me in America. However, I think it does say a little something about the American culture. I guess that I just realized that it's sad that in America we are a bit in our own bubble- in general we don't know the history of the countries around us, nor a lot of important current events of the world. However, I have a feeling that will change soon, or at least I hope it will. :)
Today I had school during the afternoon! It's been so long since I've had school on a wednesday afternoon. It's so weird to think that going to school on Wednesday afternoon used to be so normal for me. We had class because we needed to make up some work that we had missed earlier in the year. Normally, this afternoon there would have been the Lycée du talent- (High school of talent) where the school is turned into one big talent "fair" so basically like a talent show but outside. However, we we've been having some pretty yucky weather lately and so the Lycée du talent was canceled and replaced with class! Youpi... :( 
So this past week it has rained nearly every day hence the title of this post "Il fait gris" meaning that it's gray (as in it's cloudy). It's the end of May and it feels like March- what is going on with the weather ?! Come on Châtel- Get yourself together! Inspired by the gloomy weather, I thought I'd add a somber song. This song, "Puisque tu pars," is by John Jacques Goldman. He is a French singer/songwriter who was very popular in France during the 1980's, 1990's, and according to my host dad, today. Goldman is considered a music legend in France right along with Johnny Hallyday. This song was one of his more famous songs during the 1990's. Enjoy! ;)
-Becca